Antiviral nasal drops for children are effective drugs that are necessarily included in a comprehensive course of treatment for sinusitis, sinusitis, ARVI and other diseases that are accompanied by a cold.
How to choose the right composition
Types of children’s nasal sprays:
- Vasoconstrictor compositions. Appointed with rhinitis, sinusitis, sinusitis and other diseases of the nasopharynx, the course of which is accompanied by edema and nasal congestion. Such means act instantly, constrict blood vessels and “pave the way” to oxygen.
- Antibacterial sprays. Such drugs are prescribed for chronic rhinitis with a high risk of transition to antritis. Use them briefly, since the active components of these compounds are addictive.
- Means on a vegetable basis (natural). Possess both antiviral and antibacterial vasoconstrictor properties. “Work” gently, slowly, relieve swelling, do not overdry the nasal mucosa. Vegetable sprays are most often produced on the basis of such components as mint oil, menthol, fir, and eucalyptus. Do not use natural formulations on an ongoing basis – an allergic reaction is possible.
- Antihistamine aerosols. Local preparations with anti-allergic properties.
There are also combined sprays – they combine antibacterial, antiviral, vasoconstrictive, anti-allergic properties.
Antiviral sprays have a number of undeniable advantages:
- unlike drops, they are evenly distributed along the mucous membrane of the nose, thereby ensuring the maximum therapeutic effect
- penetrate the maxillary sinuses that are inaccessible to drops
- Another advantage of nasal sprays is ease of use, they can be used both on the road and at home. It is not necessary, as in the case of drops, to throw your head back and wait until the active components of the medicine reach the destination.
- overdose excluded
- profitability (nasal sprays are consumed much slower drops)
- In addition to antiviral properties, such local compositions in most cases have an antibacterial and hygienic effect (they cope with pathogenic microflora, take care of the mucous membrane, do not overdry, moisturize it).
What is in pharmacies
The largest drug group sprays, ointments, drops for the nasal mucosa with antiviral effect for children – interferons. The basis of such funds – the same active substance, a polypeptide with antiviral and immunomodulatory effects.
The main feature of interferon – it acts exclusively locally, does not enter the blood, kills the pathogenic microflora that lives on the nasal mucosa. Interferon-based antiviral local agents are advisable to use either for prophylaxis or only for the first 13 days after the onset of the disease — then their effectiveness decreases markedly or disappears altogether.
When to use interferon sprays:
- prevention and treatment of ARVI
- herpes infection
The most common means are:
- Viferon (gel, ointment)
- Genferon light spray
Consider the composition and properties of antiviral formulations for children in more detail. Grippferon is a Russian-made drug, available in several dosage forms – in the form of a spray, drops.
The main active ingredient of Grippferon is interferon. Universal treatment regimen recommended by experts: 1 drop in each nostril 1–2 times a day, the optimal duration of the therapeutic course is 2–4 weeks.
How to use Grippferon for children of different ages:
- newborns – up to 1 year – drop by drop / 2 nostrils / 2-3 times a day
- 1-3 years – 2 drops / 3-4 times a day
- 3 years –– 2 drops / 2 nostrils / 4–6 times a day.
Laferon nasal is a local preparation of Ukrainian production with antiviral properties, produced in the form of a dry powder. Before use, boiled water is added to the drug base.
The nozzle – an dropper is included in the package (for convenience of selection of a necessary dosage). The main active component is the same as in the previous cases – interferon.
Instructions for use:
- newborns and children under 1 year old – 1 drop in each nostril / 8 times a day
- 1-7 years – 2-3 drops in each nostril / 8 times a day
- 7-14 years old – 4 drops in each nostril / 8 times a day.
Another nasal antiviral composition recommended for children is Nazoferon, drops (can be used from birth) and spray (suitable for babies from 1 year old) of Ukrainian origin. How to apply the medicine:
- for the prevention of seasonal viral, infectious diseases, for immunity strengthening – taking into account the age dosage of 1 drop in each nostril / every other day in the morning
- children from birth to 1 year old – 1 drop in each nostril / 5 times a day
- 1-3 years – 2 drops in each nostril 3-4 times a day
- 3 years and older – 2 drops / 3-4 times a day.
The optimal duration of the use of drops (spray) in accordance with the instructions for the drug – 3-5 days.
Other topical antiviral drugs
On the shelves of pharmacies you can find a lot of antiviral ointments – they can be natural, synthetic, combined. Such drugs are included in the general course of treatment, they are used independently, and they are also suitable for preventing ARVI in the acute season.
Oxolinic ointment refers to the list of the most popular, affordable and safe formulations with antiviral properties. It is prescribed to both children and expectant mothers, women during lactation. The scheme of use of the drug is very simple:
- to combat the symptoms of ARVI: the treatment area is treated with the area under the nose and applied to the mucous membrane 4-5 times a day
- preventive measures – the procedure described is carried out 1-2 times a day.
Viferon – ointment with antiviral and immunomodulatory properties. Approved for use from 1 year (1-2 times a day).
Children of 2–3 years old can apply the drug to the nasal mucosa no more than 3 times a day, schoolchildren and adolescents up to 5-6 times a day.
Fleming Ointment is an effective antibacterial, antiviral drug. Therapeutic scheme: Fleming is applied to the nasal mucosa daily during the week (3 times a day).
Preobrazhensky ointment is an effective pharmacy that can fight against viral infections that “live” on the nasal mucosa. In the composition of this tool are present:
- ephedrine hydrochloride
- eucalyptus and camphor oils.
Due to the active ingredients, the ointment not only has antiviral properties, but also demonstrates a vasoconstrictive, anti-bacterial effect. Contraindications:
- hypertonic disease
- any malfunction of the heart.
The optimal duration of treatment with ointment Preobrazhensky – no longer than 7 days (2-3 times per day). Infagel – antiviral, immunomodulating composition based on interferon alfa-2.
The drug is used in the period of seasonal exacerbation of acute respiratory viral infections, for the treatment of herpes infections, flu. Therapeutic scheme: gel with a cotton swab is applied with a thin layer under the nose and directly on the mucous membrane twice a day.
The recommended duration of treatment is 3-5 days.
Among the combined ointments with anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, antiviral and antibacterial properties should pay attention to evamenol. It contains levomenthol and eucalyptus oil.
The ointment kills germs, relieves pain, relieves swelling, and reduces the intensity of cold symptoms. Evamenol is applied with a thin layer to the nasal mucosa three times a day. The duration of the treatment course is 10 days.
Ointment is contraindicated in children under 2 years.
Pinosol is an effective combination drug that, in addition to the well-known drops, is also available in the form of an ointment. The main components of the drug:
- tocopherol acetate
- pine and eucalyptus extracts.
How to use the ointment: the therapeutic composition is applied on cotton swabs, inserted into the nasal passages, left for 15-20 minutes. Manipulations are repeated twice a day for 2 weeks.
It is better to refuse Pinosol in the treatment of colds and other diseases in children under 2 years of age.
Especially popular among pediatricians are homeopathic external antiviral drugs. Their main advantages are safety, cumulative effect, soft effect.
- “Tui.” Composition based on glycerin, extracts of chamomile, flax, thuja, palm oil and alcohol extract. Scheme of application: three times a day / 1 week. Ointment is not recommended for children under 3 years.
- Dr. Mom. Natural remedy with nutmeg, turpentine, menthol, camphor oil, thymol. The ointment shows an anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, antiviral effect. How to use: the composition is applied three times a day to the mucous membrane of the nose, ointment is treated with whiskey. Therapy is recommended to continue no more than 10 days.
So, children’s sprays, drops, ointments with antiviral properties are indispensable assistants in the treatment and prevention of acute respiratory viral infections, influenza, colds, herpes infections. Natural, synthetic or combined means for each child should be selected by a pediatrician taking into account the clinical picture of a particular ailment and the characteristics of the organism of a small patient.