A key danger of angina is the development of serious complications in both children and adults. The treatment of the disease is selected by a specialist and, in most cases, such a treatment regimen includes antibiotics. For the treatment of the disease, penicillin or cephalosporin preparations are used, and in the presence of an allergy to these agents, macrolides are chosen.
The most famous representative of macrolides is Azithromycin.
What is this tool?
Azithromycin is a representative of a group of macrolide antibacterial agents, a subgroup of azalides. It has a wide range of antibacterial effects on most microorganisms that cause sore throat (acute tonsillitis).
Antimicrobial action is realized due to the suppression of protein synthesis in the walls of bacteria. Thanks to this property, bacteria are slowed down to reproduction and growth, and later their death occurs.
What is the advantage of this antibiotic:
- This drug has cumulative properties, i.e. it accumulates in the focus of inflammation, due to which even a small amount of the drug has a pronounced therapeutic effect.
- Azithromycin in sore throat acts on pathogens of both acute and chronic forms. It has an effect even on those pathogens that have proven resistant to penicillin antibiotics.
- This remedy gives fewer complications in the digestive tract than penicillins. In addition, they are used in patients with allergies to penicillin antibiotics.
- It has an active influence on all parts of the respiratory system, so it can be used for coughing, sore throat and other diseases of this area.
- Due to the cumulative properties of the use of this tool can reduce the duration of treatment up to 3-5 days. In angina, it is prescribed once a day, which significantly increases the chances that the patient will not forget to take the pill and will receive treatment in full.
- Azithromycin is active against many intracellular pathogens (chlamydia, mycoplasma, ureaplasma). These microbes often cause sore throats in children and adults, and conventional penicillin-based antibiotics are ineffective.
How medicine is distributed in the body
When used inside the drug is rapidly absorbed by the mucous membrane of the digestive tract. It has a high resistance in an acidic environment, and therefore does not collapse under the influence of gastric hydrochloric acid.
After taking it, its maximum concentration in the blood is observed after about three hours. It penetrates well into tissues and accumulates in the focus of inflammation.
Azithromycin has the ability to remain in therapeutic concentration in the lesion after 5-6 days after its last dose.
The half-life is about 40 hours, which makes it possible to appoint it only once a day. Food intake significantly slows down the absorption and distribution of the drug.
When and how it is prescribed for angina
This remedy is chosen for quinsy, when it is precisely established or it is assumed that the causative agent of the disease will be sensitive to the effects of this drug. In addition, the drug is used in patients with allergies to other antibiotic groups.
Azithromycin is a means of choice, if the possible causative agent of angina is intracellular bacteria (chlamydia, mycoplasma).
In adults, it is prescribed once a day for several hours before meals. In children, the dosage depends on body weight.
Adults and children over 12 years old are recommended to take pills, for younger patients this remedy is prescribed in the form of a suspension with a pleasant taste.
Important! In patients with severe decompensated liver and kidney diseases, dosage adjustment is required.
Contraindications and side effects
The drug is contraindicated in case of allergy or individual intolerance to any of the components of the drug. It is not used during pregnancy and during breastfeeding.
If necessary, use the drug during lactation, breastfeeding for a while stop. Azithromycin tablets are contraindicated in children under 12 years of age.
Among the side effects in the first place are problems with the digestive tract. Patients complain of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal distension, loss of appetite, inflammation of the pancreas, and others.
Among other side effects are:
- Heart side: heart palpitations, pain, pressure drop, arrhythmia, etc.
- Nervous system disorders: headaches and dizziness, neurosis, depression, irritability and anxiety, fainting, convulsions, decrease in all types of sensitivity, vision problems, noise and tinnitus.
- Urinary system: inflammation of the kidneys, candidiasis, acute renal failure, etc.
- Allergy: from mild rash to urticaria or toxic epidermal necrolysis.
- Others: changes in blood counts, colitis, fatigue, etc.
How to react when sharing with other medications
If the patient is taking more medicines for other related diseases, then before using Azithromycin, you need to discuss this fact with your doctor. With which drugs can he interact:
- Alcohol intake, food, and also antiacid drugs slow down the absorbability of this antibiotic. Given this fact, you need to take it a few hours after meals or antacids.
- Pharmaceutical incompatible with heparin.
- Tetracyclines enhance its effectiveness, and lincosamines, on the contrary, weaken.
- Do not use when sharing with ergot derivatives.
Important! Dosage and compatibility of drugs should always be clarified with the attending physician, who knows all the nuances in the patient’s health status.
What else you need to know about this drug
With angina, coughing and other problems, it is not necessary to take it longer than the doctor prescribed, since the medicine has a cumulative effect and is valid for some time after it is canceled. If an allergy occurs, it is canceled and antihistamine therapy is carried out.
If the patient forgot to take the drug on time, then it is taken as soon as possible, and the next dose will be after the prescribed time (24 hours). The drug is not used during pregnancy and lactation.
Be wary appoint patients with pathology of the kidneys and liver. In cases of complications in the liver or kidneys, the medicine is immediately canceled and additional studies and symptomatic therapy are carried out.
In some cases, leads to exacerbation of symptoms of myasthenia. Does not affect the management of moving vehicles, but during the period of treatment it is recommended to use caution when working with dangerous mechanisms.
Patient reviews about medication
Azithromycin has long been known in the pharmaceutical market. Feedback on the drug in most cases positive.
With proper reception, it has a pronounced efficacy with a minimum of side effects.
Azithromycin use in angina should be justified and agreed with your doctor. This tool effectively copes with most pathogens of tonsillitis and acts on intracellular pathogens.
Despite the pronounced efficacy, we should not forget about the possible allergies and the resistance of some microbes to this drug.