In diseases of the upper respiratory tract, accompanied by a wet cough, patients often face the difficulty of sputum separation. In this case, they need to take special medications that have the ability to thin the sputum and facilitate its release from the lungs.
These drugs include cough syrup Kashnol. The special composition of the drug provides a complex effect on coughing, diluting sputum, contributes to its release from the lungs.
How does syrup work and when is it prescribed?
Casnot syrup is a red liquid with a pleasant sweet taste. The syrup contains the following active ingredients:
- other excipients.
Bronchodilatory effect means that the drug helps to relax the smooth muscles of the bronchi, which leads to their expansion and, accordingly, facilitates the release of accumulated mucus. This effect is achieved due to the presence of salbutamol in the syrup.
Bromhexine, included in Kashnol, contributes to the dilution of sputum by increasing its volume. Gvayfenezin improves the discharge of viscous mucus and this is due to the expectorant effect.
Menthol helps reduce irritation and has a calming effect.
Knack syrup is prescribed for the treatment of acute and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases, accompanied by the difficulty of removing sputum. The following diseases are indicated as indications for use in the instructions:
- Tracheobronchitis is a rapidly progressive inflammatory disease affecting the tracheal mucosa of the bronchi and bronchioles. Accompanied by attacks of convulsive cough with copious mucus.
- Bronchial asthma is a chronic disease of the upper respiratory tract, not associated with exposure to infectious agents. Accompanied by bronchial obstruction by mucous secretion produced by the glands of the respiratory tract.
- Pneumonia is an infectious inflammation of the lung tissue. The disease is accompanied by the formation of purulent sputum.
- Obstructive bronchitis – inflammation of the bronchi, in which there is a violation of the airway. The main symptom is a cough, which at the beginning of the disease is dry and obsessive, and then goes into a wet form and is accompanied by the formation of abundant sputum.
- Pneumoconiosis is a chronic lung disease that develops as a result of constant inhalation of polluted air and industrial dust, and leading to fibrosis of the lung tissue.
- Emphysema of the lungs is a condition characterized by the occurrence in the lungs of pathological processes that cause increased air formation in the lung tissue. As a result of this, breathing and gas exchange in the lungs are disturbed.
To achieve a therapeutic effect, it is necessary to take a syrup in a certain amount. Children from 3 to 6 years should take 1 tsp. 3 times a day. If the patient is from 6 to 12 years old, then according to the instructions, a single dose of the drug is 2 tsp. Reception is carried out 3 times a day.
Between each medication you must observe a temporary break of 6 hours.
Like almost any medicine, Kashnol cannot be used in certain conditions and pathologies. So, as contraindications to use are:
- idiosyncrasy of drug components
- exacerbation of gastric ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer
- pregnancy and breastfeeding
- age under 3 years
- kidney or liver failure
- history of heart disease
- cardiovascular pathologies, such as tachycardia, arrhythmia, myocarditis
- type 2 diabetes.
Careful use of Kashnol is allowed for those patients who suffer from diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension, who are in remission on a duodenal ulcer or stomach ulcer. During pregnancy, this drug is not prescribed, but if a woman is breastfeeding, then during treatment with syrup, breastfeeding should be suspended.
Instruction syrup directly indicates that its reception can lead to the development of side effects. They can manifest themselves in the following:
- dizziness and headache
- dyspeptic symptoms – vomiting, nausea, stool disorders
- nervous irritability
- skin allergies in the form of a rash or urticaria
- drop in blood pressure
- discoloration of urine.
As for overdose, there is no information about such cases. In the case of an overdose, only a slight increase in side effects is possible.
If this happens, then symptomatic treatment is prescribed.
About drug interactions
When taking the drug Kashnol, you need to pay attention to the item in the instructions relating to the drug interaction. If during treatment the patient takes drugs containing beta-adrenomimetics or theophylline, then an increase in the action of active substances, in particular, salbutamol, may occur, which several times increases the risk of side effects.
It is important to bear in mind that the Knoll cannot be combined with the simultaneous use of antitussive drugs containing codeine, since they will prevent sputum discharge.
Simultaneous intake of antibacterial drugs with syrup, such as Cefalexin, Erythromycin, Oxytetracycline will help to ensure that the latter penetrate into the lung tissue. This is due to the influence of Bromhexine, which is part of Kashnol.
In addition, it is necessary to ensure that the patient does not take the following medications during the treatment of Kashnol syrup:
- drugs based on MAO inhibitors
- drinks containing alkali.
The drug requires special storage conditions. It should be in a dark place where the temperature is less than 25 degrees.