For successful treatment of sinusitis is useful nasal washing with saline. As a rule, sinusitis is a complication of colds and manifests itself in the form of nasal congestion, headache, weakness and fever. From the nasal cavity, yellow, brown and green discharge may appear.
All this indicates the accession of a bacterial infection.
Why is it necessary to use exactly nat sodium chloride solution for washing the nose? What are the features of the procedure and are there any contraindications?
What is saline
Sodium chloride solution is a universal remedy used in medical practice. Saline is a specially prepared solution of sodium chloride in pure water.
Saline is used for both external and internal use. Sometimes the agent is administered intravenously, for example, for burns, bleeding or intoxication, the solution is administered in its pure form.
Sodium chloride is completely harmless to the body, it is even used for gargling in pharyngitis. Apply the tool in the treatment of young children and pregnant women.
As an external agent, it is used for washing the wound surfaces, as well as the mucous membranes of the nose, mouth, eyes, genitals. Let us stop on the washing of the nose with saline.
How does the remedy for sinus and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract?
Mechanism of action
To flush the nose with saline is necessary in order to dilute the mucous secretion and relieve nasal congestion. Liquid mucus is much easier to remove from the body.
Also, the cilia of the epithelium begin again to cope with their tasks and as a result, irritation is removed.
Sodium chloride can be purchased in a pharmacy in its pure form or in the form of medicines, the main active ingredient of which is saline, for example, Quicks, Otrivin, Aqualor, etc.
When you need a nasal wash
Washing the nose with saline at home is useful for a number of reasons:
- moisturizing the nasal mucosa
- pathogen microflora elimination
- thinning of the mucous aggregation
- crust removal
- removal of the inflammatory process
- maintaining the normal microflora of the nasal cavity.
Pediatricians recommend washing the nose with baby saline and this is explained by the following:
- The child’s immune system is still at the stage of formation, so the child’s body is susceptible to attacks of pathogens. The drier the nasal mucosa, the more vulnerable it is to the attack of infectious agents.
- Children are susceptible to allergens that can penetrate the body. Washing the nose removes not only dust, bacteria, but also allergens
- Based on the features of the physiology of the nasopharynx, it is difficult for children under one year old to breathe through their nose. Flushing the nose of the baby will help get rid of mucus.
- Sodium chloride helps not only with rhinitis and sinusitis, but also in the presence of adenoids.
Nasal flushing is performed in the following cases:
- for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes for diseases of the nose of various origins and allergic rhinitis
- as a moistening of the mucous in the autumn-winter period.
Instructions for use
Is it possible to wash the nose with saline to the child? Rinse the nose of children is not only possible, but necessary. Instructions for washing the nasal cavity of a child include the following steps:
- First of all it is important to prepare everything that is needed for the procedure: a pipette, a syringe, a pear aspirator, cotton swabs to clean the nasal passages
- cleansing the nose of mucus. For an adult, this can be done by blowing it out, and for children you will need a pear to suck off the accumulated secret.
- the baby must lie on its side
- type in a physiological saline syringe and gently, without much pressure, enter into the nasal cavity. Children up to two years old, enter the tool with a pipette a couple of drops.
- repeat the procedure from both sides
- then the pear aspirator gets the remains of mucus and solution
- if the procedure is carried out for medicinal purposes, then after such a wash, the medicine should be instilled.
It is necessary to do such washings often – every two hours. It is important to monitor the sterility of items that are inserted into the nose.
Before each use they should be boiled.
Saline for washing the nose at home
You can buy the finished product in a pharmacy, and you can make a saline solution for washing the nose on your own. To do this, do not need any special skills, and the necessary ingredients are in almost every home.
So, how to prepare saline for washing the nose?
We will need the following:
- boiled water
- sea salt
- capacity for preparation of solution.
To improve the therapeutic effect, you can add a drop of iodine. It is important to observe the exact dosage, otherwise you can harm.
One liter of water is enough to take a teaspoon of salt. It is better to use warm water, it is better to dissolve salt in it.
The concentration of saline for treating children should be much less. How much will take the salt?
For a liter of water, it is enough to take a quarter of a teaspoon of salt, and to soften the mucous membrane, take baking soda. The prepared solution is drawn into a syringe and washed with a nose.
How to wash your nose
There are several ways to wash the nasal cavity. The choice of a particular method depends on the nature of the disease. Let’s talk about three effective ways:
- The use of syringes. In the middle of the syringe, a small amount of solution is drawn up, which will flow out through the oral cavity. This method is often used in the treatment of children.
- The use of teapot teapot. This method is also called flowing. It is necessary to stand in front of the sink, tilt your head down to the side and gently pour the liquid into the nostril, with your mouth open.
- With a syringe. We collect the solution into a syringe without a needle and gently pour it into the nasal cavity.
You can simply collect the tool in the palm and alternately retract one and the other nostrils. If you tilt your head back several times, the solution will pour out over your mouth.
If you tilt your head in the opposite direction and close one nasal passage, then the liquid will flow out of the other.
During the procedure, it is worth considering some recommendations:
- the rinsing solution should not be hot or, conversely, cold
- After washing for the next hour, it is better to be at home.
- It is important to control the pressure of the jet, it should not be strong
- if you feel nasal congestion, then before the procedure it is necessary to drip vasoconstrictor drops
- Be sure to consult your doctor.
If you decide to prepare your own solution, use electronic scales. Per liter of water, take only nine grams of salt.
Teapot, syringe and other things that are used to treat adults, in this case will not work, you need to take something soft and gentle.
Simply pipette the solution and drop a nasal cavity. Newborn enough one or two drops, and children from a year – three to five drops.
Treatment during pregnancy
Many drugs are forbidden for pregnant women, especially in the first trimester. That is why the saline solution becomes a real salvation, as it does not harm either the woman herself or the developing fetus. Be sure to monitor the salt concentration.
If you overdo it, it will not moisten, but, on the contrary, will dry out the mucous membrane even more. For therapeutic purposes, it is sufficient to carry out the procedure two or three times a day, and for prophylaxis, once or twice a week.
When flushing the nose should not
This is a local procedure that does not affect the general condition of the person and, in fact, has no contraindications. Too concentrated solution will do more harm than good.
In case of severe complicated diseases, it is better to consult a doctor, only saline solution will hardly help here.
People with a predisposition to respiratory diseases during the period of seasonal exacerbations for the purpose of prevention are recommended daily washing.
So, saline is an affordable, safe, and most importantly, effective tool in the fight against inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Sodium chloride is used both as a preventive measure for moisturizing the mucous membrane and for medicinal purposes.
Means washes away dust, dirt, allergens and pathogenic microorganisms. You can buy a ready-made solution in a pharmacy, it is inexpensive, or you can prepare it yourself, while not forgetting the correct dosages. The washing technique has its own characteristics, especially when it comes to treating children.
When the first symptoms of the disease appear, contact a specialist and, after making an accurate diagnosis, proceed to treatment.