4 s 732
Ultrasound of the eye is a research method that is widely used in ophthalmology. It is a safe, informative, painless way that diagnoses the majority of eye diseases, reveals an abnormal structure.
With the help of ultrasound it is possible to study the movement, muscular structure, optic nerve, to obtain data on tumors.
Ultrasound of the eye is based on the susceptibility of tissues to ultrasonic waves and their transformation into a picture that is displayed on the monitor. As a result, the doctor has the ability to:
- measure the size of the eyeball
- estimate the duration of the vitreous body
- determine the size of the ciliary section
- measure the thickness of the inner shell
- identify tumor processes
- examine the state of tissues
- evaluate the choroid
- determine the presence of retinal detachment
- detect the presence of a foreign body
- determine vitreous opacities
- identify injury to the eyeball.
Indications for study
Indications for ultrasound of the eyeball is:
- preoperative or postoperative period
- detection of blood clots, determination of their volume, localization
- violation of the integrity of the vitreous body
- eye control for diabetes
- the presence of bulging eyes
- pathological foci of the optic nerve, motor muscles
- threat or detachment of the inner lining of the eye
- sharp decrease in visual acuity
- presence of a foreign body
- high myopia
- diagnosis of tumors and their control.
Ultrasound method of research is completely safe, so that they can diagnose people suffering from chronic diseases, pregnant women. Since it carries no danger to the fetus, children.
However, there are contraindications for this examination. It:
- presence of wounds on eyelids, eye
- retrobulbar bleeding
- open injuries, burns.
Modern ophthalmic practice has several types of ultrasound, which differ in individual technical capabilities that affect what shows a particular diagnostic form.
With the help of A mode information about the eye tissue is obtained, some characteristics are measured. This is considered indispensable before the ophthalmic surgery.
This technique is optional, does not give full visibility of the picture.
With the help of a two-dimensional mode, an image of the structure of tissues, vessels, and the structure of the eye in 2D is obtained. With the help of a combined study, extended information is obtained that includes the capabilities of the first two types of ultrasound. 3D scanning allows you to see the image in 3D.
It gives an image located in any eye layer. Duplex color study allows us to study a prominent ultrasound of the structure of the eye tissue, blood flow in real time.
The ophthalmologist most often prescribes the first 2 types of ultrasound. Moreover, the first type implies direct contact with the eye, as a result of which anesthetic is needed. Other diagnostic modes do not require the introduction of an anesthetic drug.
As the doctor drives the eyelid.
How is the procedure
Many people are interested in how this procedure is done, where you can do this diagnosis. Ultrasound done in a specially designed room.
The doctor usually makes the following recommendations. The patient should sit comfortably in the chair.
When examined in the A-mode, anesthetic is instilled into the eyes. As soon as it starts to act, the doctor makes a careful movement on the outer surface of the eye.
In other modes, the administration of an anesthetic agent is not required. Investigated closes eyes.
Takes a calm state, a gel is applied on his eyelids by a doctor. The survey lasts about 10–15. After which the gel is removed from the eyelids with a napkin.
The results are then handed out to the patient.
Decoding the results is done by a specialist. The norm contains the following results:
- a healthy lens is not visible by the apparatus, which is associated with its transparency. If this area is fixed by the device, then there is its turbidity
- the vitreous body should not be fixed as a result of its transparency
- axis value must be less than 27.3 mm
- refractive power varies from 52.6 to 64.2 D
- hypoechoic structure of the width of the optic nerve reaches 1 mm
- the thickness of the inner shell reaches 1 mm
- the volume of the vitreous body is within 4 ml, the length of this area should be no more than 16.5 mm.
Ultrasound diagnosis of the eye does not need special preparation. The doctor explains to the patient the essence and purpose of the procedure.
If the diagnosis is assigned to the child, then it is necessary to explain to him the complete painlessness of the technique. When the examination is carried out in the A-mode, then clarifications are made about the hypersensitivity to the painkillers used during the diagnosis and the selection of the appropriate remedy is made.
Ultrasound examination is performed both in the hospital and in the clinic. If the procedure was carried out earlier, the patient should take with him the result of the previous study.
The representatives of the fair sex do not need to use decorative cosmetics before the diagnosis, because the doctor will apply the gel on the eyelids for better sliding of the sensor.
Ultrasound examination of the eye provides information that will allow you to prescribe a quality treatment and make it easier to perform an ophthalmologic surgery.